What Is being injected?
Due to Australian advertising guidelines, we cannot specify brand names. However, muscle relaxants are made up of proteins that work to relax the relevant muscles.
When injected into the desired area, the product temporarily disrupts nerve activity, causing muscle paralysis and restricting movement. Without this continuous muscle movement, the skin can rebuild underlying structures that help prevent ageing and result in a fresh and youthful appearance.
Most people notice a difference after several days, and the final result visible at two weeks. Results typically last for three to four months, but this can vary from patient to patient. Patients with muscular physiques may require more frequent treatments with more product. Regular treatments will help maintain results, and over time, people may find they can go longer between touch-up appointments.
What to expect
Muscle relaxant is a prescribed medication, and only a qualified medical practitioner can perform the treatment. The product is injected into the target area using a very fine needle. The injections may sting for a few seconds, but most patients describe it as quick and painless. The procedure usually takes 15 to 30 minutes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
All cosmetic treatments involve both positive and negative outcomes, and carry certain medical risks which will impact your well-being. The known risks and complications associated with muscle relaxant are listed below:
- Transient headache
- Swelling, bruising, bleeding, pain, twitching, itching, puffiness/oedema around the eyes or numbness or other changes in sensation
- Asymmetry (unevenness)
- Temporary drooping of facial features, including eyebrows, cheeks, and mouth – occurs in two percent of cases and could last three weeks
- Dry eyes
- Double or blurred vision
- Allergy including anaphylaxis is possible but very rare
- Occasionally the treatment wears off very quickly or does not work at all
- Muscle relaxant is best at treating dynamic facial lines; those caused by facial muscle activity, lines present at rest may or may not improve and can be unpredictable
Attend appointment with no makeup, lotions, or SPF
2 weeks prior: avoid excess sun exposure
1 week prior: avoid blood-thinning medication – aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil
3 days prior: no exfoliation, waxing, or hair removal in the treatment area
3 days prior: if prone to cold sores, take prophylactic medication
5 days prior: no products containing AHA’s, Vitamin A products, scrubs or enzymes
2 days prior: avoid alcohol and stay hydrated
Injections can cause small amounts of swelling, a temporary bump, redness, bruising, a mild to moderate headache, and sensations such as tingling or mild itching after the muscle relaxant treatments. These effects are so common they can be considered a normal part of the process.
- Remain upright and do not touch treatment area for six hours
- Don’t apply products containing AHA’s, Vitamin A products, scrubs, or enzymes
- Cleanse treatment area gently
- Avoid wearing tight caps or garments in the treatment area for 12 hours
- Avoid strenuous exercise and heat (saunas, LED, hot showers) for 24 hours
- No peels, IPL, laser, facial treatments not prescribed by the clinic for two weeks
- Don’t massage treatment area for two weeks
- Paracetamol is recommended for any headaches. Avoid Ibuprofen
If any of the below apply to you, anti-wrinkle injections may not be the right treatment for you:
- Myasthenia Gravis or Eaton Lambert Syndrome
- Hypersensitivities to product ingredients
- Active or recent viral or bacterial infection (coughs, colds, flu)
- Active skin issues or infection in the treated area, including cold sores, sunburn, eczema, psoriasis or cancer
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
Australian advertising guidelines prohibit us from mentioning specific brand names. We use a range of different products from various well-known brands. Please contact us for more information.
At Inigo Cosmetic, we customise our treatments to each individual patient. Depending on the severity of your lines, we may need to inject more or less units of muscle relaxant. To receive a detailed cost breakdown, please get in touch to book a consultation at Inigo Cosmetic.