What happens during your consultation
A consultation is much more than an obligatory step before surgery. It allows you to meet the surgeon and staff who will be involved with your procedure. The consultation provides you with an ideal opportunity to learn more about the procedure itself, with the associated risks and complications. It allows you to discuss, in detail, what results you wish to achieve, what results are realistic, and what results are unattainable, given your personal circumstances.
Good communication is vital. Unless you feel comfortable with your surgeon, you won’t feel comfortable enough to express your concerns honestly. Some patients know exactly what they wish to change about their bodies, however, others may be unable to express their thoughts so easily. You and your surgeon need to work together to develop a surgical plan to achieve the best version of yourself.
Not sure where to start? Request a complimentary, obligation-free quote from Dr Chinsee.
During the first part of your consultation, Dr Chinsee will discuss your medical history. Lab testing or a medical evaluation may be required to establish your level of health. For example, if you are a smoker, Dr Chinsee will advise you to stop well in advance to reduce postoperative complications. Dr Chinsee may request a nicotine test to ensure all traces of nicotine are out of your system. If you are undergoing breast surgery and are over the age of 38, you will be required to undergo a mammogram. Dr Chinsee will discuss your surgical expectations and explain the procedure in detail, including surgical methods, recovery times and the potential risks and complications. A physical examination will be conducted during which Dr Chinsee will take measurements and photographs. If you are seeing Dr Chinsee for breast surgery, you will try on different implant sizes. Finally, in collaboration with you, Dr Chinsee will develop a surgical plan tailored to your appearance and personal circumstances.
During the second part of your appointment, you will meet with one of our Patient Coordinators, who will provide you with the login and instructions for your Online Patient Portal. We will discuss your formal surgical quote, pre and post-operative information, and aspects related to the administrative side of surgery. We will provide you with your Consent for Surgery. The process of giving informed consent is not just a physical document that you sign. It is a process of gathering information and educating yourself, so you can safely, and with full understanding, say that you agree to all aspects of surgery. The process of giving consent can take days, weeks, months, or even years. If you have any questions or concerns after your consultation, we encourage you to contact us.
After your consultation, there is a one-week cooling-off period before you can book surgery or make any form of payment.
The cost of an initial surgical consultation with Dr Chinsee is $79. This fee is paid at the time of booking to secure your desired appointment time. The initial consultation fee is non-refundable, and rescheduling requires 48 hours notice. This consultation fee is not deducted from the cost of surgery if you decide to proceed.
If required, a second consultation may be booked at no extra cost.
Breast Surgery Consultation Tips
- Please make sure you have completed and submitted all information requested at the time of booking before your appointment.
- You are encouraged to bring a friend or family member for support.
- Wear a firm fitted t-shirt to try on over the breast implant sizes to give you a good indication of how your implants will look in clothes.
- Go in with an open mind. Sometimes women come in for consultations, and they have a set profile, size, and shape in mind and nothing the surgeon can say will change their mind. Please don’t go into any consultation with this attitude. You and your Surgeon need to work together towards a surgical plan to achieve the best version of yourself.
- There is a limited range of implant sizes and profiles that will work with your body, and importantly, there is a maximum size implant that you can safely choose. This is determined by your anatomy and will be different from other people you talk to.
- Find some Wish Pics to bring along to your consultation. These will provide an indication of the TYPE of look you want to achieve. These pictures should be of women without clothes on, who are similar to your body shape and size.
- But remember, your Wish Pics are only Wish Pics, and similar results may not be attainable due to your unique anatomy. For example, although cleavage may be important to you, if your breasts are wide-set, you may have limited success in achieving this goal with surgery. Unfortunately, your anatomy determines the amount of cleavage – breast implants enhance what you already have. So if your breasts are wide-set, they will still be wide-set after the procedure. Additionally, if they are low-set, they will still be low-set after the procedure. A breast augmentation will not physically move your breasts around on your chest – it just gives you a bigger version of what you already have.
- You will be given a lot of information, so don’t worry if you forget some of it after your consultation. One of our helpful staff members is just a phone call or email away if you need to go over some information.
- If you were uncertain about your chosen implant size at the first consult, we offer complimentary, additional sizing appointments to make sure you are completely happy with your decision.
- Finally, this is elective cosmetic surgery. You should not feel pressured or rushed into booking surgery.
INFORMATION ON THIS SITE IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE