What is a non-surgical nose job?
A non-surgical nose job is designed to reshape the nose without the need for surgery. By strategically injecting dermal filler above and below nose bumps or around the tip of the nose, a liquid nose job can completely transform your facial appearance.
Dermal fillers work by imitating a sugar molecule that is found naturally in the body. This gel-like substance is designed to bind water and works to regulate the skin’s water balance, transport nutrients and acts as a lubricant and shock absorber in moveable parts of the body.
When injected into the skin, dermal fillers instantly add volume to mask the appearance of bumps in the nose. Despite the fact that dermal fillers technically add to the nose, this process can actually make the nose look much smaller.
Keep in mind that Australian advertising guidelines prohibit us from mentioning dermal filler brand names or ingredients.
Benefits of nose filler
If you are considering non-surgical nose job, dermal fillers to the nose offer several advantages, including:
- Cost-effective treatment: If you don’t have the budget for surgical rhinoplasty, a liquid nose job offers comparable results without breaking the bank.
- Immediately visible results: You’ll notice an immediate difference in the shape of your nose following treatment, unlike surgical rhinoplasty, which involves months of swelling.
- No downtime required: Nose fillers can be administered in less than an hour, after which you can return to your daily activities immediately.
- Temporary results: If you aren’t sure whether nose enhancement will suit you, a non-surgical rhinoplasty offers temporary results, so if you aren’t happy, the results will fade in time.
- Explore potential rhinoplasty results: For patients considering surgical rhinoplasty, nose fillers provide an opportunity for you to see what the results could look like.
What to expect
Since dermal filler is a prescribed medication, only a qualified medical practitioner can administer your liquid nose job. As such, you will need to come in for a consultation before having any injectable treatment at Inigo Cosmetic. This consultation allows you to discuss your aesthetic concerns and goals before your cosmetic physician assesses your nose shape to determine which filler option best suits you.
Before the filler is injected, you may choose to have a topical anaesthetic applied to your nose to numb the area and ensure comfort. Your cosmetic doctor will then carefully inject dermal filler in specific locations of the nose using a very fine needle or, in some cases, a cannula. You may feel a slight pinch or stinging sensation as the filler is injected, although most patients describe the treatment as relatively pain-free. You can expect the entire procedure to take around 45 minutes, after which you are immediately free to resume your regular activities.
Your non-surgical rhinoplasty results
The results of your non-surgical nose job will be visible immediately after treatment – no need to wait months for swelling to subside as with traditional rhinoplasty. Keep in mind that dermal fillers are only temporary, and the body will eventually metabolise the injected product. You can expect your liquid nose job results to last between 12 to 18 months, depending on the type of filler used and your body’s metabolism. Returning to the clinic for regular top-up treatments will help you maintain results in the long term, and you may find that you can go longer between appointments over time.
Surgical vs. non-surgical rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure designed to alter and reconstruct the nose. As an invasive treatment, there are several differences between surgical and non-surgical rhinoplasty.
Liquid nose job (non-surgical)
- Is completely non-invasive
- Requires no anaesthesia
- Is far less expensive than surgery
- Has no downtime and minimal risk
- Results can be seen instantly
- Results last for up to 18 months
- Is an invasive surgical procedure
- Is performed under general anaesthesia
- Is far more expensive than non-surgical alternatives
- Has greater downtime and risk
- Takes up to a year to see final results
- Results are permanently
Ultimately, the best way to determine which treatment is ideal for you is to book a consultation with our surgeons at Inigo Cosmetic Brisbane, who will examine your nose and discuss your aesthetic concerns.
Nose Thread Lift
If you are looking for an alternative to both nose fillers and surgical rhinoplasty, you may be a suitable candidate for a nose thread lift. This is a minimally invasive procedure that can help create a higher, straighter, sharper nose bridge through the use of dissolvable threads. Using a fine needle, threads are inserted under the soft tissue of the nose, which are then gently pulled to create the desired lift and nose shape. Over time, these threads will dissolve, which works to stimulate collagen production to maintain the shape of the redesigned nose for up to three years. You can learn more about our nose thread lift procedures here.
Risks and Complications
While dermal filler is a highly popular, frequently performed treatment, all cosmetic procedures come with a degree of risk. Some of the risks and complications associated with a non-surgical nose job include:
- Over or underfilling, which may require further treatment
- Changes in skin pigment
In very rare instances, the filler may accidentally be injected into the blood vessels instead of beneath the skin, blocking blood flow. This can potentially lead to skin loss and, if the eye is affected, blindness. This is known as vascular occlusion, and the nose is particularly vulnerable to this risk. As such, you should always have your liquid nose job performed by an experienced medical professional who knows how to avoid such complications.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Before your non-surgical rhinoplasty, you will need to take some steps to prepare, including:
2 weeks before treatment
- Avoid sun exposure in the treatment area
1 week before treatment
- Do not take any blood-thinning medications or supplements, including aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, omega fatty acids and vitamin E
5 days before treatment
- Do not use any skincare products that contain AHA’s, vitamin A (retinol), enzymes or scrubs
3 days before treatment
- Do not wax, exfoliate, or remove hair in the treatment area
2 days before treatment
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- Stay as hydrated as possible
After your non-surgical rhinoplasty, you may experience some bruising, swelling, redness and tenderness in the nose area. However, these side effects should only be mild and resolve within a few days.
To optimise your recovery, be sure to follow the below aftercare instructions:
- Ice your nose on and off throughout the following day
- Drink two to three litres of water each day to maintain hydration
- Avoid strenuous exercise and heat (including hot showers, saunas, and LED light) for two days following treatment
- Do not use any skincare products that contain AHA’s, vitamin A (retinol), enzymes or scrubs for two days following treatment
- Do not exfoliate or scrub the nose for three days following treatment
- Do not rub or massage the nose for at least two weeks, after which you can gently massage the area as instructed by your physician
- If you need pain relief, use paracetamol instead of aspirin or ibuprofen
- If required, antihistamines can be taken to minimise swelling
For the most part, non-surgical rhinoplasty is considered a relatively tolerable treatment, although this will ultimately depend on your personal pain tolerance. Most patients describe feeling a stinging sensation or slight pressure as the filler is injected. Regardless, a liquid nose job is a very quick treatment, so you will not be in pain for very long.
Unlike surgical rhinoplasty, a liquid nose job does not produce permanent results. The injected product will eventually be absorbed by your body, depending on the type of filler used and your skin type, lifestyle, and age. You can expect your results to last for 12 to 18 months, after which you will need to return to Inigo Cosmetic for top-up treatments.
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your non-surgical rhinoplasty results, don’t worry – you can have your dermal filler adjusted or removed. In fact, we encourage our patients to return to the clinic for a follow-up assessment two weeks after their initial injections to evaluate the results. If under corrected, your physician can inject additional dermal filler to create your desired result. In cases where you wish to completely undo your results, we can inject an enzyme into the nose that dissolves the product entirely.